Case 1: SMART Prepayment Platform
Project description: as part of the priority roll-out of smart meters for customers entitled to budget meters, Eandis, Ores, Infrax and Resa decided to purchase a SMART Prepayment Platform and set up a pilot project.
Role of Methis Consulting: assistance in the purchase of the platform, project management and business analysis via Atrias.
- Drawing up of a comprehensive tender for the purchase of the Smart Prepayment Platform (PPP) and assessment of the offers received.
- Development of the standard market processes (MIG) that will be used for communication with the Smart Prepayment Platform.
- Project management and business analysis via Atrias, as well as monitoring of the coordination between and involvement of all stakeholders.
- Purchase of a Smart Prepayment Platform that meets all the set requirements within the stipulated deadlines.
- Timely launch of the Smart PPP roll-out project.
Case 2: Process and application changes in a retail organisation
Project description: total process redesign and system implementation (front-end, middleware and back-end) for the retail environment of a major Belgian energy provider.
Role of Methis Consulting: responsible for a broad spectrum of guidance on business side; project definition, project management, process-design, change management and business architecture.
- Co-business project lead and change management responsibility. In this role, Methis Consulting was jointly responsible for defining the approach for the project, developing a standard for process modelling, and defining and implementing training for over 1,000 employees.
- Track lead in the following areas: products and services, complaints, contact management, dunning, legal recovery, workload management. Methis Consulting acted as the link between business and IT. Business requirements were attuned with stakeholders, captured in a business blueprint and discussed in detail with IT.
- Lead business architecture: developing various business architecture issues and guiding the whole architecture team.
- Targets achieved; implementation of optimised processes by enhancing interaction with the client (customer journeys in an SOA environment) and a significant reduction in the cost-to-serve.
- The project was completed successfully within the time and budget set.
Case 3: Implementation Connexo at a Dutch distribution system operator
Project description: Connexo is a platform for network operators to manage smart meters; from device management to data collection, data management and data analysis. This grid operator implements Connexo as its backbone for managing (i.e. reading and managing) more than 5 million smart meters. The implementation of Connexo replaces the Eiserver application and future-proofs the grid operator’s core activity.
Role of Methis Consulting:
Methis Consulting supports Honeywell in the implementation of the Connexo product. We fulfil the following roles: project management, business analysis, functional analysis and release coordination / testing. From these positions, it is essential that we realize a bridging function between the business of the distribution system operator and Honeywell as supplier of the software and system integrator.
- The project expects to go live by the summer of 2020.
Case 4: Process redesign of connections with a distribution network manager
Project description: optimising the “Connections” process (new connections, changes to connections, etc.) in order to improve customer satisfaction and reduce the operating costs associated with the process.
Role of Methis Consulting: project management and business analysis.
- Analysing the current process: focus interviews with managers, ‘shadowing’ staff in the field and administrative services, organising workshops with technicians, back-office employees, contact centre staff, etc..
- Defining the vision for the new process: facilitating workshops with senior management and other managers to draw up guidelines.
- Detailed description of the new processes, including the needs for supporting ICT systems.
- Supervising implementation.
- Higher level of customer satisfaction, savings in operating costs (project still ongoing).
Case 5: Optimization of passenger flow and baggage handling at the national airport
- Project 1: optimization of the passenger flow at peak times at the national airport by means of improved signage, optimization of the infrastructure and accurate measurements of passenger movements.
- Project 2: optimizing the customer experience when reclaiming baggage at the national airport
Role of Methis Consulting: project management of both projects. Tangible activities:
- Stakeholder management involving all relevant parties
- Impact assessment of various optimization options
- Ensuring the implementation of these options (tendering, supplier management …)
- Project management: planning, budget follow-up, issue and risk management
- Support decision making at different levels (C-level, steerco, …)
- both projects are currently ongoing
Case 6: Analysis of the central clearing house and transition to a new market model for the energy market
Project description: on the Belgian energy market, the interaction between network operators and suppliers is defined in the ‘MIG’ documents. The current version, MIG 4, is being replaced by a new version, MIG 6. In addition, the current clearing houses are being replaced by a single federal clearing house, Atrias, which will communicate with the network operators via a new set of arrangements (MIG DGO).
Role of Methis Consulting: to ensure the smooth transition of these market-wide changes, Atrias asked Methis Consulting to put a project team in place to facilitate this transition.
- Establishing a single, central transition plan with all of the business and technical steps involved for all of the market parties for the transition from MIG DGO, MIG 6 and CMS (Central Market System) which is also known worldwide and will be brought forward.
- Defining a communication plan for carrying out and managing communication between all of the market players during the transition.
- Defining a test strategy for testing the implementation of the transition plan in order to ensure a problem-free Go-Live.
- The central coordination of the implementation of the transition plan, both in dry runs and for the live transition in order to ensure that the transition plan is carried out in the agreed way by all stakeholders (more than 65 organisations). For this to happen, the required checks and balances will be built in. Decisions will be taken during these checks, based on acceptance criteria defined in advance.
Result: transition to a new market model for the energy market.
- Delivery of a transition approach, test approach and transition plan that will be carried forward and validated by all of the market parties.
- Implementation of an initial transition dry run with Atrias, the distribution network managers and the energy suppliers.
Role of Methis Consulting: business and functional analysis for the development of the central federal clearinghouse (CMS) for the domain settlement, in-feed and billing.
- Development of MIG DGO documentation in close consultation with DGO specialists. The final documents are used as a business requirements platform for the development of the central federal clearinghouse (CMS).
- Review and validate the functional designs, based on the Atrias methodology.
- Define the test strategy and consequential test scenarios and test cases, based on business and functional requirements.
- Represent business during the acceptance tests and responsibility for acceptance of the final delivery.
Result: business and functional analysis for the development of the central federal clearinghouse (CMS) for the domain settlement, in-feed and billing.
- Successful delivery of MIG DGO documents and processes.
- Project in the test phase.
Case 7: Implementation of a workforce management tool
Project description: The objective of the project was to implement a complete work follow-up system (Salesforce Field Service Lightning) at a large industrial player. The following processes were included in the scope of the implementation: creating a quote (including other basic CRM activities), project management, asset management, time registration for internal and external employees, creating pro-forma invoices, cost calculation and all interfaces with the customer’s ERP package.
Role of Methis Consulting: Methis Consulting fulfilled various (lead) business and functional analyst roles on this project.
- Self-built application that makes the link between contracts sold and the energy to be bought/sold.
- Replace various current systems by analysing them and coming up with improvements.
- As much as possible set up a dynamic model in which business can carry out changes to the configuration itself and where there can be as few IT interventions as possible. This is necessary because of the volatility of the parameters with which the processes are carried out.
- Visual support and insight into the processes with a user interface that supports graphics and is mobile friendly.
- The solution is now being implemented sequentially within the various departments of this major industrial player.
Case 8: Redesign sales processes
Project description: replacement of the back-office application that controls and monitors all sales data for a Belgian public transport operator.
Role of Methis Consulting: Methis Consulting was responsible for the project management and business analysis on the project
- Project business lead, including responsibility for monitoring the project plan, supporting the project start (kick-off, setting up the project team, scoping exercise, etc.), acting as the key contact between business and IT and reporting to the business management.
- Carrying out the process redesign and drafting a business blueprint: identifying points for improvement within the process (e.g. automating activities and elimination superfluous steps), within the organisation (e.g. evaluating the decentralisation vs. centralisation of activities), and within the application (improving user-friendliness, providing new functionalities).
- Coordinating the tests and implementation; in this role, Methis Consulting was responsible for drawing up an implementation plan that included a pilot phase (staged rollout over 15 different regions with approximately 100 direct end-users and an indirect impact for all service desk employees), providing training to end-users, etc.
- The successful implementation, with no significant problems, enabled the intended centralisation (from fifteen regions to five) to go-live after just a few months. The user satisfaction survey conducted 2 months after the go-live showed that 92.6% of users considered the new application to be an improvement.